Here’s a great recipe for making use of all that fresh summer spinach from your garden or a local farm. It’s fairly fast and the flavor is delicious and unusual, tart with the bright flavor of balsamic vinegar, yet a crunchy rich texture with crumbled bacon. It’s a perfect combination, and one you can feel good about.
Wilted Spinach Salad
6 – 8 cups of fresh spinach, stems removed
6 slices of good quality bacon
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced or chopped
2 T EVOO
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
a couple pinches of sugar
S & P to taste
3 T balsamic vinegar
- Put the spinach leaves in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- Fry the bacon in a heavy, cast iron pan over medium heat until crisp and browned, then remove it to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the bacon fat in the pan. Let cool.
- Keeping the pan on medium heat, add the EVOO, onion slices, sugar, and S & P, and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vinegar, swirl everything together in the pan, and pour over the spinach, tossing with tongs to coat and let the spinach wilt.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it and the sliced eggs over the top. Enjoy!