Rich tomato sauce over melted cheese and seasoned breaded veal makes for a succulent, hearty meal in this version of Spicy Veal Parmesan. Many people are more familiar with Italian dishes like spaghetti and meatballs, or fettuccine alfredo, but if you’ve never tried it, this Spicy Veal Parmesan will pleasantly surprise you.
Spicy Veal Parmesan
- 8 veal cutlets, pounded to a thickness of about 1/8″
- S & P to taste
- 1/2 c flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1.5 c toasted bread crumbs
- 4 T evoo
- 4 T butter
- 3 c Marinara Sauce
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 c freshly grated parmesan
- freshly chopped parsley
- Lay the pounded veal cutlets on a lightly-floured surface and sprinkle them with salt & pepper. Flip them over and repeat.
- Preheat the oven to broil, and heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Prepare the veal: put the flour, beaten eggs, and bread crumbs each in its own shallow dish, side by side.
- One by one, dredge the seasoned veal cutlets first in the flour, turning to coat both sides, then into the eggs, and finishing with the bread crumbs. Lay each breaded cutlet on a foil-lined baking sheet. (See the photo of breaded raw veal at the bottom of the page.)
- Cooking the veal: add some of the evoo and some of the butter to the heated skillet, swirling the butter until it’s melted and the mixed thoroughly with the evoo. Addding 1 or 2 breaded cutlets to the pan at a time, cook, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Return the cutlets to the foil-lined baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer.
- Continue to cook veal, adding more butter and evoo as necessary, until all the veal has been cooked on both sides to golden brown.
- Now, spoon about 1/4 c of the marinara sauce onto each cutlet and top with a slice of the cheese. Broil veal in the preheated oven until the cheese melted and begins to brown and get a little bubbly.
- Serving Spicy Veal Parmesan: Sprinkle each veal cutlet with some of the grated parmesan cheese and some chopped parsley, and serve 2 piping hot cutlets to each person.