These beauties are a simply-fixed meal for any night of the week — a childhood favorite, even for those of us who only dreamed of them as a kid. When I was young my family fell back on canned chili or take-out for nights when no one wanted to cook. These days I prefer my own cooking, and this recipe for lip-smacking Sloppy Joes hits the spot perfectly. What wonderful comfort food!
Serve with Perfect French Fries and a Green Salad or Greek Salad and you’ve got a satisfying meal that everyone will love. Save time by doubling the recipe and serve it for weekend lunches, or freeze some for use later in the month.
- 2 T evoo
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef, preferably grass-fed
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 2 T brown sugar
- beef bouillon cube
- 1 t Colman’s dry mustard
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- S & P to taste
- Hamburger buns, store-bought or home-made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the onion and garlic until transparent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the large chunks, until the pink has disappeared.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stirring to thoroughly combine. Cover, turn the heat down to simmer, and continue cooking another 15 minutes to thicken.
- Pile the Sloppy Joe filling onto enough hamburger buns to feed your guests, and stack them on a warmed platter. Serve and enjoy!