If you’re a marshmallow fan, or Rocky Road bars in particular, you are going to truly love this dessert. The Caramel Sauce puts a bit of a spin on the familiar candy bar and makes this treat just that much more special. The bars can be packed into a lunch bag or brought along on a picnic, or prepared as a particularly luscious taste treat following a light meal. If you don’t eat it all at once, it will freeze nicely for at least 3 months.
Rocky Road Bars with Caramel Sauce,
10 oz chocolate, bittersweet, semi-sweet, or milk, chopped
3 T unsalted butter
4 eggs, separated
1/4 c sugar
2 1/2 c chopped pecans, lightly toasted
4 oz. mini marshmallows
- Melt the chocolate and allow to cool.
- Whip the egg yolks with 2 T of the sugar and set aside.
- Whip the butter, then add the melted, cooled chocolate.
- Whip the egg whites with the remaining sugar until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg yolks into the butter-chocolate mixture, then fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Finally, fold in the chopped pecans and marshmallows.
- Press mixture into a buttered 8×8″ baking dish and chill thoroughly.
- To serve, cut into serving size squares, and drizzle with Caramel Sauce. Enjoy!
Get the Caramel Sauce recipe here.