Ever have one of those mornings when you just want to lounge around the house, stay in bed drinking coffee and reading? That is the perfect morning to make this fabulous French Toast for yourself, your kids, or your sweetie. There are some variations to try or you can stick with the standard. This breakfast will blow them away!
By the way, using fresh bread is fine, but it actually tastes better with older, even stale, bread. It’s a great money-saving recipe.
“Pamper Me” French Toast
Four two-slice servings
8 slices of good quality french bread, cut into thick 1” slices
1/2 – 1 cup whole milk or half & half
- Put a skillet over medium heat and let it heat up while you prepare the French Toast.
- Crack the eggs into a wide, flat dish, pour in the milk, and whisk the mixture until it’s well blended.
- Dip the sliced bread into the egg mixture one by one, turning each slice over to soak up the liquid from both sides. Set the prepared slices on a plate.
- When all the slices are prepared, melt about 2 T butter in the skillet and add 2 or slices of the bread, whatever fits in the skillet without being crowded.
- Cook until the slices are lightly browned on one side, then flip them over to brown the other side. It should be only a minute or two per side, depending on the heat of the pan.
- Add more butter to the skillet as you cook more slices, and keep the finished bread on a platter in a warm oven, about 250 degrees, to hold until all the slices are finished.
Serve “Pamper Me” French Toast with real butter and maple syrup, for an unforgettable start to a wonderful day.
Play with any variations that sound good to you. Here are a couple of suggestions:
Orange French Toast: add a couple teaspoons of grated orange zest to the butter in the pan as you cook the slices.
Cinnamon French Toast: add a shake or two of cinnamon to the egg mixture when you soak the bread slices.