Here is a much-simplified version of the classic British dessert, updated with a burst of lemon curd and some crunchy gingersnaps. Like many of the Simply Good Cooking recipes, this one can be made quite simply by following the recipe as written, or by choosing a variation on the given ingredient list and making some of your own combinations. For example, I’ve included the use of store-bought gingersnaps and lemon curd, but you could easily make your own cookies, as well as lemon curd. That is up to you. The options give you quite a bit of flexibility in how much time is you spend cooking, while not sacrificing flavor or quality. If you do purchase store-bought ingredients, always look for the highest quality available and you won’t go wrong.
(Adapted from “12 Best Foods Cookbook”)
25 gingersnaps, approx. 1 1/2″ in diameter, either store-bought or homemade
2 6-0z containers of lemon yogurt, any brand you prefer
1/2 c lemon curd, either store-bought or homemade
4 oz cream cheese, any type you prefer (non-fat, low-fat, or full-fat)
1/2 c blueberry jam, either store-bought or homemade
1/4 c fresh blueberries for garnish
- Crush the gingersnaps in a zip-lock bag by rolling them with a rolling pin. You should end up with not quite 2 cups of crumbs.
- Put the yogurt, lemon curd, and cream cheese into the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Arrange 4 6-oz dessert cups or glasses (preferably clear so you can see the luscious dessert when it’s finished!) in a line and begin layering the ingredients into the cups in this order: 2 T cookie crumbs, 1/4 c of the yogurt blend, 2 T cookie crumbs, 2 T blueberry jam, and even portions of the remaining yogurt blend. As you add each layer, gently tap the cups on a padded surface to help it to “settle” and remove any large air pockets.
- Leave a bit of the cookie crumbs for a final garnish, along with a few fresh blueberries.
- Can be served immediately or covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for a day. Enjoy!