This recipe makes a luscious apple pie just the way you like it but with no sugar. It’s so perfect you will wonder why it’s been made with sugar all these years. This recipe uses apple juice concentrate in place of the sugar, though you would never know just by the taste. It could very well become the new classic apple pie for your holidays, family gatherings, or any time.
Just Apples Pie
1 c apple juice concentrate, with no added sweeteners
4 T flour
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
enough apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced to give roughly 8 cups of slices
1 T butter
Your own 2-crust, unbaked pie dough
Optional: 1 T whole milk for the crust, a dusting of cinnamon-sugar
- Prepare your pie dough, following your own recipe. Complete the recipe to the point where the crust is placed into a pie shell, ready to be filled.
- Put the apple juice concentrate, flour, cinnamon, and salt into a small saucepan and heating and stirring until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Put the apple slices into the prepared pie pan, arranging them so they , creating a slight mound in the center of the pan.
- Pour the apple juice concentrate mixture over the top of the apple slices, dot with butter, and cover with the pastry. Seal, trim, and crimp the edges. Optional: To make it extra special, you can lightly brush whole milk over the entire crust before baking. The milk does two things: it gives the crust gets something of a shine and the added liquid allows the spice to bake on, rather than just crumble off.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 for another 30 minutes, or until golden brown.