If you like salads but get tired of having that same old plate of salad greens with thick dressing poured over it, it’s a welcome respite to mix it up a little — keep meals interesting and inviting. Truly, with the busy schedules most of us find ourselves trying to manage, it can be quite a challenge to come up with new and different flavors to enjoy.
This Greek salad is just the thing for a fresh new taste. With just a bit of variation and an unusual combination of vegetables, it’s a delicious way to break away from the bland.
1 head of romaine, washed well and torn into pieces
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
4 tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced into rings
1 green bell pepper, sliced into rings
1/4 c parsley, minced
6 anchovy fillets
handful of Kalamata olives, pitted
1 lb. feta cheese
1/3 c EVOO
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 t fresh oregano leaves, minced
S & P to taste
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, oregano, S & P in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Set aside.
- Arrange the lettuce in a large, shallow bowl.
- Put the cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion in a separate bowl.
- Crumble half the feta cheese and sprinkle it over the top. Stir well.
- Layer the vegetable/cheese mixture over the lettuce.
- Arrange the bell pepper rings over the salad, sprinkle with the minced parsley, and the remaining feta cheese.
- Arrange the anchovy fillets on top and scatter the olives over everything.
- Drizzle the desired amount of dressing over the salad, toss well, and serve immediately. Enjoy!