These bars are quick to make, extremely satisfying, and quite versatile. You can serve them as bars for an afternoon snack, or for dessert with a scoop of ice cream. Vanilla ice cream complements any flavor of jam, but experiment with unusual combinations: Strawberry preserve bars with chocolate ice cream. Blackberry preserve bars with blackberry ice cream. Cherry preserve bars with butter pecan ice cream. Have fun with it and see what you come up with.
Fruit & Oat Bar Cookies
2 c rolled oats, quick or old fashioned
1 c. flour
3/4 c butter, melted
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 10 – 12 oz. jar fruit jam or preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 12″ baking dish and set aside.
- Put all ingredients except the jam in a large bowl and stir it together thoroughly.
- Set aside 3/4 c of the oat mixture and press the remaining mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread the jam evenly over the toasted oat mixture leaving an edge of about 1/4″ near the side of the dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top and bake another 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool, cut into serving size pieces, and enjoy!