This recipe is a lovely, light summer soup, served chilled. You can adjust the ingredients to change the flavor, more tomato or less cucumber, but it’s a refreshing, remarkably easy soup for a quick meal on a warm day.
(Adapted from Jean-Paul Picot of La Bonne Soupe, New York.)
1 – 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/2 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
1 c tomato juice
1 T tomato paste
1 c chicken stock
1 c sour cream
1 T lemon (or lime) juice
S & P to taste
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Puree the cucumber and onion in the bowl of a food processor, blending until smooth.
- Add the tomato juice and the tomato paste, and blend again to thoroughly combine.
- Scrape entire contents of processor bowl into a large serving bowl or pitcher and add the chicken stock, sour cream, and lemon, whisking to combine.
- Add S & P to taste, and chill for several hours.
- When you are ready to serve, stir the soup well, and ladle into serving bowls, garnishing with the basil leaves. Enjoy!