Chocolate and oats are an almost irrestible combination. Put them into a bar cookie and you’ve made something that will appeal to all ages and tastes. This is another quick recipe to add to your cookie recipe shelf, one you can whip up in no time and have on hand when friends drop by.
Chocolate Oat Bars
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c butter, at room temperature
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 12-oz package chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the sweetened condensed milk and the chocolate chips into a small saucepan and heat on low to melt the chocolate. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on it while doing the next steps.
- Separately, beat the brown sugar, butter, and egg in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add the oat mixture and stir until just combined.
- Set aside about 1 cup of the oat mixture, and press the remaining mixture into a clean 9 x 12″ baking dish. You can wet your fingers before pressing it in if the mixture is sticky.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the pressed oats, spreading it to the edges to evenly coat the base.
- Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture evenly over the chocolate and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack, cut into serving sizes, and enjoy!