These chocolate cookies are crunchy on the outside, and soft inside. They “crinkle” because they puff up as they bake and expand, creating a crinkle effect with the powdered sugar. Rich, chocolately, deliciousness!
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c sugar
1 t vanilla extract (or vanilla powder)
1 2/3 c flour
2/3 c unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c powdered sugar, in a shallow bowl
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, and stir together.
- Add to the butter-sugar mixture and mix slowly, only until just blended.
- Form the cookies by rolling uniform amounts of dough into small balls between the palms of your hands.
- Roll the balls in the bowl of powdered sugar until the ball is completely coated by sugar.
- Place the balls at 2″ intervals on parchment-paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes, until cookies are puffed and still somewhat soft.
- Cook baking sheet on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.