Simply put, there is nothing on the planet as good as a homemade caramel. This sauce, like the homemade candy, is rich, thick, and can accept no substitutions. It’s a perfect topping for the Rocky Road Bars, and possibly countless dessert recipes, but use your imagination and have fun with it.
From “In Season”, by Greg Atkinson
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
1 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
1/8 t salt
1 t vanilla
- In a deep, dry saucepan over medium-high heat, stire sugar until slightly browned and melted.
- Add cream all at once. Cream will immediately boil up and threaten to spill over, and melted sugar will harden into a mass.
- Stir and cook 3 – 5 minutes, or until sugar has melted again into the boiling cream. Some lumps will remain; these should be strained out.
- Transfer caramel sauce to a clean dry canning jar or a small pitcher, then stir in salt and vanilla.
- Serve over Rocky Road Bars, vanilla ice cream, or as a dip for sliced apples. Enjoy!
This Caramel Sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, or frozen for up to 6 months.