Succulent, marinated chicken breasts, cooked to perfection and served with warm tortillas, fresh salsa, and guacamole. Juicy, delicious, unforgettable! Perfect for cool summer evenings on the deck or a cozy family dinner on a winter evening. Nothing beats this meal, and though it takes some time and planning to serve, it’s a simple meal that tastes like a banquet. You have really got to try this!
1 recipe marinated chicken breasts (recipe below)
Lite olive oil for sauteeing
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
flour or corn tortillas
Cajun Spice (to taste)
- Marinate the chicken breasts (recipe below).
- After it has marinated, remove the chicken breasts from the dish (or ziplock) and set on a plate to drain. Dump the remaining marinade.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and keep warm in the oven at about 300 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil to the pan. When the oil is shimmery, lay the chicken breasts in the pan in one layer, being careful to avoid any splattering of the marinade.
- Sprinkle the chicken with Cajun Spice and let the chicken cook about 5 minutes, then turn the breasts over.
- Sprinkle more Cajun Spice, cover the skillet, and turn down the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, never lifting the lid until the time is up.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board and cover with foil.
- Scatter the sliced onion and peppers into the skillet, adding extra oil if the pan seems too dry. Stir them around a little to coat with the chicken juices and Cajun Spice, and replace the lid. Turn the heat back up to medium and cook vegetables about 5 minutes, or until peppers are softened but still bright. You can stir peppers and onions from time to time until they are done. Remove skillet from heat.
- Slice chicken breasts across the grain, making 6 – 8 narrow slices of chicken per breast.
- Place sliced chicken back in the skillet with the vegetables, and serve with the sour cream, guacamole, and salsa and warm, foil-wrapped tortillas.
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. lemon juice
splash of evoo
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 T Worchestershire sauce
2 T fresh oregano, minced
1/2 t. pepper
lite olive oil for sauteeing
4 boneless chicken breasts
- Put everything except the chicken into a deep, lidded baking dish (or large ziplock bag) and stir thoroughly.
- Add the chicken to the dish (or ziplock bag), cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but no more than 12 hours.